Welcome!


This is the story of life's financial struggles & victories through the eyes of a young woman up to her eyes in debt. Enjoy :)

Find me on Twitter! @OhStudentLoans

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Financial Sweatpants

Today I paid off the first of my two federal loans! This, my readers, is what I would like to call unbuttoning and unzipping my tight business slacks. This loan was the one that was sold to the Department of Education when my other one stayed under the same Sallie Mae name. Although it was under another name, I believe Sallie Mae still had some sort of ownership over it because I was still paying on it through their website. I chose this one as my second loan to pay off because it was the lowest of the 2 federals; both started out at $4,500, but where the other one had a 0.5% higher interest rate, its total balance was higher. I will tackle that higher one sitting at a little over $4K next.

If you had told me 2 years ago that I put down almost $17K towards my student loans between March of 2013 and May of 2014, I would have a). told you to walk away, you've got the wrong person or b). figured I hit it big while gambling during the Vegas bachelorette party I knew I was about to attend. I would not have thought it was from budget discipline based around some financial dude’s theory.

It has not been the easiest, especially during changing seasons when I would rather give my hard earned cash to Macy’s over ole’ hag Sallie. However, I know that in the end I will be glad I chose the road to financial sweatpants.

2 down, 4 to go.

1 comment:

  1. I know you are only part way through your story, but to be fair that Dave Ramsey guy is a good 'ole dude!!
    No I have no affiliation to him at all, just reading your journal to pick up ideas for my ride I'm about to take out there. It is very interesting to see how it affects you at different times, and even though I know the ending, (I've seen the film LOL :) ) it's going to be very interesting living out the actual life experience of all that debt repayment.

    ReplyDelete